Monday 18 April 2011

TRM Loves: 10 of the Best Cover Versions

It has been a little while since my last blog, for this edition I have compiled a Youtube Playlist of 10 of my favourite cover versions after trawling the internet to find some contemporary takes on classic tracks in preperation for May's The Lovely Job where this blog will again be providing the backing soundtrack to the night. Once again becoming the Supremes to The Lovely Job's Diana Ross. More info to come in the next week or so.

I will get to the good stuff now, the music. I initially tried to devise an order to play these tracks but it was difficult to rank on merit (apart from the fact Nirvana would be number one every time) so I am afraid I sat on the fence for this one and opted for alphabetical order - via song title. If its good enough for the Premier League then its good enough for TRM! Below the embedded playlist is a list of the tracks with a little sentence or two to explain their inclusion.



Warpaint - Ashes to Ashes (David Bowie)
These girls can do no wrong in my eyes at the moment, really enjoy the female vocals on their take of this classic.

Siouxsie and the Banshees - Dear Prudence (The Beatles)
Thanks to The Weeknd using Happy House in his excellent 2011 mix tape I have rediscovered Siouxsie and the Banshees, they give a darker and in my opinion more polished take on this White Album track.

Jose Gonzalez - Heartbeats (The Knife)
You know its a good cover version when the track becomes more syonymus with the coverer than the original artist and that has certainly happened in this instance. I cannot wait to see this performed on a Sunday afternoon at Melt! Festival.

Method Man & Mary J Blige - I'll Be There For You/You're All I Need To Get By (Marvin Gaye & Tammi Terrell)
There aren't really that many covers about in the hip hop world and I thought the genre needed to be represented as it has had a big infuence over me. This is a high quality version of one of my favourite Marvin Gaye tunes.

Nouvelle Vague - Love Will Tear Us Apart (Joy Division)
I stumbled accross this very performance while channel hoping during Glastonbury coverage a few years ago. Simple, refined, angelic, stunning.

James Blake - Limit To Your Love (Feist)
I will be honest here, for the first 3 months of blasting this I was unaware that it was a cover. It is such a brilliant effort staying true to the original while giving it the post dubstep twist, no wonder James Blake is one of my men of the moment.

Nirvana - The Man Who Sold the World (David Bowie)
There are no superlatives to describe the brilliance of this version. In my opinion this is the seminal cover version of all time!

Otis Redding - Satisfaction (The Rolling Stones)
The soul boy in me just adores this. A fantastic danceable fun cover.

Soft Cell - Tainted Love (Gloria Jones)
Not many people know that this is a cover, well it is. Such a brilliant take on a Northern Soul track. Quite possibly the defining track of the 80s.

Paul Weller - Thinking of You (Sister Sledge)
This could perhaps be the most disputed inclusion in my list, the covers album from which it is taken did not recieve high praise. However I really like this version, really liked the covers album and I really like Paul Weller.

No comments:

Post a Comment