Wednesday 19 October 2011

TRM Recommends: Dancefloor Tracks of 2011

Is it too early to be dropping 'Best of' lists in October? Perhaps it is but here is one anyway. While in 2011 I have kind of shifted away from electronic music somewhat and barely visited a club; I have been able to remain in touch with it thanks to festivals, blogs and the Boiler Room, which has become my main supplier of new 'dance' music. So I have decided to compile a short list of some of my favourite dancefloor aimed tracks of the year, there is no order besides the order that the tracks popped into my head.

This post is a precursor to the Top 10 Albums of the year post, which will be a more in depth review of the year's releases. That particular post will be made on December 1st, the eve of the year's final installment of The Lovely Job, where I shall be playing tracks from the top 10 albums and more.

Hudson Mohawke - Thunder Bay


This track just makes me want to lose my mind whenever I hear it, an ultimate smash out tune. I was fortunate to be able to play this at the September Lovely Job and to my amazement if actually went down well!

Dark Sky - Neon


Old school vibes on this one from Dark Sky, when it kicks it it reminds me and many others of Robin S' Show Me Love.

Daphni (Caribou) - Ye Ye


An extenstion of the work from last year's TRM album of the year Swim, Caribou under the alias Daphni delivers a more 4/4 offering in this groovy track with a simple yet hypnotic vocal sample. Really enjoyed dancing to this on the Dutch soundsystem on the Thursday night at the campsite at Melt! festival.

Joker ft. Jessie Ware - The Vision


What happens when one of your favourite producers and one of your favourite vocalists team up? A killer track thats what!

Cassius - I Love You So (Skream Remix)


Skream showing his versatility once again with this tribute to old school piano hardcore. Almost sounds like it brings Awesome 3's Don't Go into the 21st century.

Scuba - Feel It


A groovy house track from the Hot Flush head honcho which went down a treat at The Big Chill during his excellent set. 2011 has saw a big revival in the acid house sound, as tipified by the next track...

Boddika & Joy Orbison - Swims


Its a toss up between this and Thunder Bay if I was pushed to name a favourite dancefloor track of the year, this is sheer brilliance from the acid to the repetitive vocal to the cow bell it all works brilliantly and I was delighted that Scuba allowed me to experience hearing it at a festival.

Martha Reeves & The Vandellas - Jimmy Mack (Addison Groove Bootleg)


A bit of fun to end on, probably the biggest musical regret of the year was missing Addison Groove at Melt! festival due to a state of inebriation and thus the opportunity to hear this. I am a massive fan of the original and oh my word when it kicks into Addison's trademark sound, wow.

So there it is a collection of my favourite dancefloor tracks of the year, hope you enjoyed reading/listening as much as I have enjoyed this eight tracks throughout the year.

No comments:

Post a Comment